[Scummvm-devel] Detecting patched games

Paul Gilbert paulfgilbert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 23:47:00 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Eugene Sandulenko <sev at scummvm.org> wrote:

> Thus, I would like to ask your opinion. What do you guys think about
> adding a special game flag like ADGF_PIRATED, and keep those entries
> where applicable. But during detection instead of our 'please submit
> md5' message show something like: "Hacked game variant detected.
> Skipping".
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Eugene

I don't really know much about the patching of SCI games, but I think it's a
good idea to disable known pirated MD5 signatures, as long as we
differentiate between hacks/MD5s known to disable copy protection and
patches that are intended to fix in-game bugs. I've occasionally heard about
patches such as for speed issues on modern computers, and whilst ScummVM
will hopefully be able to dynamically correct all such script bugs in the
games, it would be still preferable to keep allowing games already manually
patched to keep running.

Regards,

Paul.