[Scummvm-devel] Switching to Git (was Re: Broken Sword 2.5)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Aug 16 17:02:23 CEST 2010

Am 07.08.2010 um 16:56 schrieb Willem Jan Palenstijn:

[...]

> Yes, you're right. If we want to do this, it would have to be on an
> experimental repository before going "live".

That might be a good idea anyway. We could then collectively search for issues for a few days.

> There's at least one bit of history that would be nice to edit out:
>
> 50329 and 50313 break easily tracing back through SCI's vm.cpp's history due to
> some CR/LF mixup.

There was also some cleanup I performed after the CVS -> SVN switch, which in retrospect is not nice to have in the history. E.g. I cleaned up various branches, and many SVN properties. So commits like <http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm?view=revision&revision=20471> would be nice to suppress. Those SVN properties wouldn't be visible in git anyway, I guess.

Also, what about fake branching commits created by cvs2svn, like <http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm?view=revision&revision=3488>, can we get rid of those, too?

Also, I think when we made the CVS conversion back then, something went slightly wrong with the very old history. Consider e.g. <http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm/scummvm/trunk/?pathrev=3486>, where the code that should be in trunk is hidden away in a subdirectory "scummvm-old" of trunk. Not terrible, but certainly annoying. Esp. since later on, at some point the two are mixed: Trunk is populated but "scummvm-old" is still there.This happened in revision 4785, see <http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm?view=revision&revision=4785>, and while it lists me as the committer with commit message "Initial revision", I am not quite sure why that is... probably because we switch to a new CVS repository back then, with a revised file structure... And things were never properly stitched together.
The annoying part is that "scummvm-old" is still visible much, much later, see e.g. <http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm/scummvm/trunk/?pathrev=18000>. It was only removed in revision 20419, see <http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/scummvm?view=revision&revision=20419>, manually.

This is by now quite a mess, sadly, but if there is anything we can do to fix this up, that would be awesome! The issue probably permeates various branches, too :/.

> And as mentioned before, grafting the freesci history into the main tree with
> cleaned up commit messages would be very nice too.

yeah!

Bye,