[Scummvm-devel] DOSBOX adlib emu

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Thu Dec 30 17:09:11 CET 2010

On 12/30/2010 01:38 PM, yotam barnoy wrote:
> I've been playing around with the adlib synths and I have a question:
> Is there a reason we don't use only the DOSBOX adlib synthesizer and
> ditch the MAME one? DOSBOX is more than twice as fast according to my
> measurements.

The code size of the MAME emulator should be less than for the DOSBox
emulator, which is why it might be still prefered by backends as the NDS
one. Also we have certain low quality versions of the MAME emulator,
which used to be faster but less precise than the normal MAME one we
use, I am not sure whether they are still faster than the DOSBox
emulator though.

> The only problem I've encountered is that the music in Scumm games is
> softer -- probably because of PROP_OLD_ADLIB.

PROP_OLD_ADLIB isn't related to the AdLib emulator to use though, it's
only related to how some data is interpreted in the MIDI AdLib driver.

// Johannes