[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM PS2: SCI games

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Wed Feb 3 05:43:42 CET 2010

Hi there!

Using Mame OPL few SCI games are running sweetly on PS2!

Tested:

- sq1vga

- sq3

(ok I could not resist to try SCI32 and GK1, well there was something
 on the TV screen... Day 1 intro and then many Gabriel Knights ;-)

Gotchas:

- With Mame OPL I get:

  WARNING: Your selected OPL driver "MAME OPL emulator" does not support type 1 emulation, which is requested by your game.!
  WARNING: Invalid OPL driver selected, trying to detect a fallback emulator!
  WARNING: Your selected OPL driver "MAME OPL emulator" does not support type 1 emulation, which is requested by your game.!
  WARNING: No OPL emulator available for type 1!

  But then the audio is working fine...so are those warnings expected ?

- SQ3: if you let the whole intro play when Roger Wilco is about to
  jump out of the ship you will get:

  lookup_selector(): Attempt to send to non-object or invalid script.
                     Address was 0017:1430!

  I can actually reproduce this on SDL backend on my Linux workstation
  too, so it's not just a PS2 backend issue.

- SQ1VGA : has a similar issue (but I can only reproduce on PS2) :
  when I let the whole intro run, the game is more unstable and
  then it kicks the bucket with:

  WARNING: Error: kmem() with invalid handle!

  And the game stalls with a looping audio.

- SQ1VGA : performance. When there is an animation on the screen
  (e.g. the crazed robot at the real beginning) the pointer speed
  slows down to a crawl. Unluckily there is a timer on the screen
  in the first chapter, so it's hard to play... Since there is not
  much going on the screen, I wonder if there is anything that I
  could handle better on PS2 backend to improve gfx performance.

Hope this helps!
 -max