[Scummvm-devel] VideoPlayer improvement: video positioning.

Filippos Karapetis philipk79 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 09:59:16 CET 2010

> Vladimir Menshakov <whoozle at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> > VideoPlayer renders video in the center of the screen which makes
> > post-processing more complicated as it should be :) I see two
> > possible solutions: 1) Remove postProcess(byte *) and replace it with
> > virtual method "render" or something. VideoPlayer's default
> > implementation will do copyFrameToBuffer(centerx, centery). 2) Allow
> > manual _frameX/Y modification via other method/extended arguments.
> Sounds like a sound idea to me.

The second solution sounds better, imho. E.g. there could be a new method,
"setFrameLocation(x, y)" which would change the default placement.

The VideoPlayer class was created to simplify video playing. Videos SHOULD
be centered by default, as in most cases, games just play a video centered
at full screen. Different placements are certainly possible if you roll out your
own video implementation, so if you need more functionality than the one
provided by the default video player, it would be better to create your own
implementation to suit your needs, unless it's a change which doesn't
complicate the default video player a lot - it's there to simplify things, after
all :)

Do tell, why do you need to play a full screen video at a different screen
position? (out of curiosity)

Regards
Filippos