[Scummvm-devel] cost of palette changes

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sat Jul 3 12:38:44 CEST 2010

Robert Špalek <rspalek at gmail.com> writes:

> [...]  with 8-bit colors the palette change is cheap, but with True-Color
> everything needs to be recomputed.  can anyone tell me what the rule of
> thumb is?  I'm fading the palette in 15 phases in less than a second, but I
> can decrease the number of phases.

A belated, and probably slightly irrelevant measuring point:

On the Dreamcast, palette conversion (and texture upload, which
happens in the same operation) of a full (320x200) screen takes
less than 3 milliseconds, so even if you palette cycle at 60 fps (the
maximum possible on an NTSC Dreamcast), it won't use more than 17% of
the available CPU power.

  // Marcus