[Scummvm-devel] Announcing public SCI testing?

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 07:41:31 CEST 2010

> I just meant, that if, say, Atari2600 version of Larry 4 is not
> supported, users should not even try it.

Ah, fair enough

>> what doesn't work yet).
> That is the list I study almost daily, but I meant something more high
> level like "sound does not work" i.e. in a manner our compatibility
> page does for other games.

Hm, yes, could be done

> There is no way to merge or even delete any registered IDs, only
> renaming works.

Ouch. That sucks :(

SCUMM has over 18 distinct versions (8 SCUMM + 10 HE),
> and many developers worked with some particular range, such as v6 or
> v7+. I have an impression that current SCI engine is more tight, and
> you have probably just 4 major versions (I could be wrong), thus I
> proposed it.

No, SCI has a lot of major versions and in-between forks. The major
versions were sci0, sci01, sci1, sci11, sci2, sci21 and sci3.

Sci0 had 2 big revisions, which we call "early" and "late". Sci01 had
the "normal" and "multilanguage" version. Sci1 had 3 revisions, which
we call "early", "middle" and "late".

Also, there were the mac versions too. In later versions these had
some extra features included, or did some things in a completely
different way (e.g sound subsystem).

The subsystems had versions too. The sound subsystem had 3 major
versions, and a fork for Jones cd+kq5cd too. The graphics subsystem
had 2 versions in sci0, then extra palette effects were added in
sci11, which changed the way palette works. Then, hires upscaling
support was added in kq6cd, which was done differently in gk1cd. Then,
proper hires support was added. The message subsystem underwent
changes too, a different format first and then several refinements.
The kernel had some changes among versions too (e.g. The way some
opcodes worked).

There's a lot more, have to make a list and perhaps a nice graph or
table to explain it better.

Thus I'm a bit unsure what to do... We can discuss better once I get
back if you want (today in the evening/tomorrow morning).

> Another reason is that current list is already too big, and extending
> it with 20 more items would make things worse. From the other hand,
> asking users to distinguish between SCI1 and SCI01 is IMHO too much.

True. But we already have all the other games separately, no? Unless
we want to change that policy?

Filippos

--
"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde