[Scummvm-devel] Avoiding loading of all plugins during startup

Filippos Karapetis philipk79 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 16:09:08 CEST 2010

> For SCI, only the fallback detection code uses the SCI
> ResourceManager. I've always been iffy with this in the first place:
> We have a chance of erroring out on detection. I don't think we really
> need all of this fallback code. The filename fallback (as done with
> several other engines) should be good enough for most cases. The only
> time it would fail would be for other Sierra games with similar file
> names.

The reason why the fallback detection code was written is because of themultitude of SCI games and versions out there. We could revert to an"Unknown SCI game" or something along these lines, but I fail to see the reasoning behind this, since Sierra itself embedded IDs in all of its games, thus we can find the real name of the game from its data, together with other information, such as the language it uses. If there is a good reason why this detection scheme should be removed, please explain it, and I'll be quite happy to remove it, if you feel it's not needed. With this reasoning though, we couldremove and simplify the detection code of the SCUMM engine, too (whichuses a more advanced detection scheme too), but I find this idea to be astep backwards myself. If you do feel that the detection code is iffy, weshould have a policy not to have complex detection code in all of our engines,and simplify this task (this includes SCUMM, SCI and AGI, afaik). If not, adifferent plan for detection needs to be devised, one that doesn't requiresplitting the detection code separately from the engine.
RegardsFilippos