[Scummvm-devel] Improving translation support in ScummVM

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Jun 24 18:42:14 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

just a short intermission: Regarding which languages names to display to the user: Can't we display "localized" names (so "Deutsch" and not "German") but restricted on pure ASCII (first 128 chars) ? Vased on the theory that for any language we currently support there is a transcription of that language to ASCII which is understandable by natives, and that all encoding we support are supersets of ASCII. So while "française" is not ASCII, "francaise" is, and any french speaking person would understand it (of course this example is artificial, because the langue is called "French", but I hope my point is clear).

As for right-to-left and top-down languages: We can't solve all issues at once and rome wasn't built in one day.

Bye,