[Scummvm-devel] MADE screen transitions (was: cost of palette changes)

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Mon Jun 28 23:55:40 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-28 22:48, Johannes Schickel wrote:

 > All I know is that it is indeed expensive and thus should be only
 > done when needed. I think our MADE engine once was affected by too
 > many palette operations and thus bad performance.

(I didn't want to hi-jack the original discussion - at least not very
much - so I'm using a different subject for this one.)

Unfortunately, in the fixed version the screen transitions don't always
look as good as the original. There was a brief discussion about this
some time ago, but I don't think we ever reached any decision on what to do.

Back then, I had made the following comparision between the two ways
ScummVM handled one of the early transitions:

http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/rtz.html

(Of course, the difference is made even more obvious here since I
deliberately made the animations run slower than the original.)

Torbjörn Andersson