[Scummvm-devel] Better place for decompilers

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Sat Oct 16 02:38:25 CEST 2010

  On 10/16/2010 12:47 AM, Travis Howell wrote:
> Regular builds of the current engine tools (in scummvm/tools) doesn't
> make sense, since they are all directly related to building ScummVM. So
> anyone working with those tools, would need to be building ScummVM too,
> for testing of their changes or work.
>
> There are far too many assumptions on this topic, removing the
> decompilers doesn't offer any advantage to the average user. There are
> people interested in using the decompilers, but not coding. And the
> average user isn't forced to use every bundled tool.

Hi,

while I think that some separation might be nice, I agree with Travis
here that moving the decompilers to scummvm/trunk/tools is rather a step
backwards from the user's perspective. I have seen some people talking
about SCUMM scripts (and posting code lines which looked like descumm
output IIRC, like this one:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=61533#61533) in the forums and
I can't say those are developers (in the ScummVM team sense). So I guess
it seems there's partial user interest.

Of course we might separate the tools somehow, so it's obvious what is
exactly is targeted at the daily/occasional ScummVM user, mostly the
compression tools and *some* extraction tools come to mind here, and
what is rather targeted at the people curious about certain "internals",
I guess that's what is called "developer tools" in this discussion.

// Johannes