[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 1.2.0 missing builds

Pawel Kolodziejski aquadran at xtr.net.pl
Sat Oct 16 11:33:48 CEST 2010

On 2010-10-16, at 11:25, Filippos Karapetis wrote:

> On Saturday, October 16, 2010, Pawel Kolodziejski <aquadran at xtr.net.pl> wrote:
>>

>> On 2010-10-16, at 11:03, Filippos Karapetis wrote:
>>
>>> Slightly silly question: why do we have separate builds for Ubuntu and
>>> Debian? Isn't Ubuntu Devian based anyway?
>>>

>> Why we have more than one distro linux instead of one for all?
>
> Because of different packaging (deb and rpm)

As many distros reuse deb or rpm.
You can build static build which can run on all linux at least on same type of cpu.
Whole point is about environment where exe runs.
Runtime file usually use shared libraries, which may not always be binary compatible for different distro even for same but different release.
If you build binary for specific distro version, you are always make sure it will works fine.