[Scummvm-devel] Backend-specific options and when the common launcher isn't the best fit

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Oct 26 23:24:40 CEST 2010

Hi Angus,

I see no principle problem with using a custom launcher on the Android port. The iPhone port might also benefit from one. As Johannes already pointed out, the DC port already does that.

The main reason we have a unified portable launcher is that it makes it very easy to add new platforms, and it is easy to maintain. A custom launcher requires dedicated work by the port to keep it up-to-date. Also, it has the risk of lagging behind the regular launcher in terms of feature, something I really would like to avoid.

If a custom browser integrates better, is much easier to use for the user, is maintained, provides all the regular features, I see no fundamental issue. Well, some kind of brand recognition would be nice, too, e.g. displaying a tiny ScummVM logo somewhere. You can also have a custom about dialog etc.

We could even work a bit towards making it easier to swap out the launcher for a custom launcher. See also the old idea of a "Main" class described on <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User:Fingolfin>

You might also wish to replace the GMM (global main menu, triggered by ctrl-f5 on desktop ports), but that is more difficult as ports are currently allowed to modify that. We could look into ways to make that possible, too, however. This would definitely also be interesting for the iPhone port.

Bye,