[Scummvm-devel] Improved reporting of unknown MD5s / new game variants

yotam barnoy yotambarnoy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:16:30 CEST 2010

> But even tighter integration is achievable with relatively little effort, I think: We could offer a "Report by email" button in the GUI dialog, which would open up the user's default email client with a precomposed email with right address, subject and pre-filled body. At least on Mac OS X, this is easy: One composes a suitable mailto URL (see <http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html>) and passes that to a system API which handles it. Presto. I would imagine that this is similarly easy on Windows and Linux... Probably also on many smartphones (if not via the "mailto:" trick then by some other means). But I did not research that.

I'm not so sure how useful that is nowadays, at least as far as
desktops are concerned. Many people don't use their desktop mail
management client anymore (for example, me). With gmail and hotmail
taking over (ok mostly gmail), there's just no need for an email
client. I only use Outlook at work because I have to. This means that
the 'send email' API that's available to most OS's is not relevant. In
fact I hate it when Outlook Express suddenly boots up on my home
machine because some application decided I need to send an email.

Yotam