[Scummvm-devel] Windows console

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Fri Oct 29 11:44:44 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:54:15AM +1100, Travis Howell wrote:
> On 28/10/2010 9:11 PM, Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
> > This is getting rather repetitive; you've raised these points on the wiki
> > too. IMO this is mixing several issues and claiming that a console is
> > somehow the best solution for all of these instead of looking at each issue
> > separately and determining what would be the best way to address it.
>
> Please try to keep general discussion of pros and cons to the wiki page,
> otherwise we are just duplicating the discussion again and again.

That was an attempt to steer the thread to something more constructive. Thank
you for ignoring that and repeating your points again.

(And sincerely thanks to anyone replying to the spin-off threads about concrete
areas for improvement.)

> > Of course the discussion is focused on that. Given that mature GUI programs
> > _don't_ have a console as a rule, it seems clear that we should aspire to
> > the same. If there are reasons we need a console, we should _address_ those
> > reasons, rather than single-mindedly sticking to a console.
>
> I already stated above, that we aren't a mature and stable GUI program,
> due to the serious lack of release testing. Especially for regressions,
> for the majority of games which are supported.

I said we should _aspire_ to be a mature GUI program without any need
for a console, and that we should fix any issues that stand in the way. It
seems to me that should be the position to argue from. Do you disagree? If so,
this whole discussion is probably pointless.

-Willem Jan