[Scummvm-devel] mt-32 emu by default?

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Wed Sep 15 13:42:15 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:50:28PM +0300, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> On 15 September 2010 11:22, Willem Jan Palenstijn <wjp at usecode.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems we're currently defaulting to using the mt-32 emu for BASS. Why?
> > This emu needs specific rom files that we can't really expect users to have.
> > Apparently it's engine-specific, since SCI games use a different sound device
> > by default here.
> I think it is a regression.
>
> It was introduced as part of patch #1956501 in r50128:
>
> sky.cpp:
> -       MidiDriverType midiDriver =
> MidiDriver::detectMusicDriver(MDT_ADLIB | MDT_MIDI | MDT_PREFER_MIDI);
> -       if (midiDriver == MD_ADLIB) {
> +       MidiDriver::DeviceHandle dev =
> MidiDriver::detectDevice(MDT_ADLIB | MDT_MIDI | MDT_PREFER_MIDI |
> MDT_PREFER_MT32);
> +       if (MidiDriver::getMusicType(dev) == MT_ADLIB) {
>
> Probably it has to be reverted.

That MDT_PREFER_MT32 flag has been added to quite a few engines
in that patch :-(

What should we do? Remove MDT_PREFER_MT32 altogether? An alternative might to
interpret that flag as "if a _working_ mt-32 (or emu) is present, use that",
but that might not be feasible. (Any opinion from people more familiar with
this?)

I think I'd prefer just removing MDT_PREFER_MT32 from all engines.

-Willem Jan