[Scummvm-devel] Fedora ScummVM package (Was: Merging TsAGE engine into trunk)

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Sat Apr 9 14:37:46 CEST 2011

On 04/09/2011 10:11 AM, John Willis wrote:
> Max, Torbjörn,
>
>>> As an afterthought: Maybe we should modify our configure script to
>>> reject
>>   >  --enable-all-engines when --enable-release is used?
>>
>> Sounds reasonable to me. Should it throw an error, or just silently drop
> the --
>> enable-all-engines flag? Also, should --enable-release prevent enabling
> all
>> unstable engines, or is it just blanket statement --enable-all-engines
> that we
>> want to block? (I guess you could argue that if you enable engines
>> individually, then you probably know what you are doing, and that there
> may
>> be cases when you want to try and compile even unstable engines with
>> optimization.)
> Please do the part of the former and not the latter :).
>
> Telling the user that --enable-release and --enable-all-engines are mutually
> exclusive and giving a clear warning that explains why is fine but disabling
> release builds of a specific engine with --enable-release and the engine
> name is a very bad idea as (particularly on the low end/embedded stuff)
> release builds of WIP engines are a common debugging and testing tool. As in
> 'I wonder if it runs out of RAM in a release build?' ;-).
>
> I wonder if we should allow some override for all engines in release mode in
> fact as a lot of the low end ports set --enable-release by default and this
> would fail potentially legitimate dev builds with all engines on buildbot.
> Maybe --enable-unstable-engines with a warning? I don't really know but I am
> anxious that we don't cause devs pain because of sloppy packaging. Warnings
> and clear messages (plus breaking the existing workflow) seems the sensible
> option.

I think we talk about a release branch only change (or that's what the
original intention was AFAIK), so I am not sure whether we really need
to make that much efforts, probably we should just assure that in
release sources there's no way to enable engines with configure (easiest
way would be actually to remove the add_engine lines from configure).

// Johannes