[Scummvm-devel] FORCE_RTL

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Apr 10 23:06:10 CEST 2011

Am 10.04.2011 um 11:53 schrieb Andre Heider:

> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> Which might involve coaxing a lot of engine authors into fixing their
> engines once and for all (I don't see why Eugene and me should be the
> only ones who do that ;).
>
> Looks like tinsel and m4 are the only engines not supporting
> kSupportsRTL. *poke engine maintainers*

But more engines use static vars -- just because an engine maintainer enabled RTL, thinking it was safe, does not mean that it actually is ;). I think a lot of people were / are unaware of the true problem(s) with RTL, beyond leaks...

With just a quick git grep, I see several more engines using static, non-const vars (e.g. agi, sky, toon, ....). These may all be harmless / well-understood, but I have my doubts that they *all** are.

I suggest we introduce a coding convention that all static vars *must* be marked with a comment that explains why they are there, and why they are safe in the light of RTL -- or if they aren't, a FIXME remark should be there.