[Scummvm-devel] Windows Installer

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:58:08 CEST 2011

To be honest, I don't have a clear opinion on this.
IMHO, we should choose the installer that is easier to work with and offers
most flexibility.
It's quite typical to have an installer for Windows programs. I have worked
with some
installers under *nix too (e.g. Oracle's, but that's too specialized).

All in all, I believe that for *nix based systems an installer isn't
strictly necessary, as an
rpm or deb package are just as easy to install there. I think that we
already offer a pkg
for MacOS systems, too (please correct me if I'm wrong here). So the
question, at least
for me, boils down to which installer we should use for Windows (again,
please correct
me if I'm wrong).

So, all in all, I believe we should use whatever is easier to work with and
more flexible,
and allows us to easily wrap the final files automatically via a variety of
platforms (so
that buildbot can package them).

As for the size... again, I don't think that a 500kb difference is anything
to worry about,
especially nowadays. So at least this point is moot, imho.

Finally, I have the utmost respect for fingolfin and the way he handles and
coordinates
the project. We can't all agree on everything, but I think that we can reach
a decision
if we discuss this on -devel. Heated discussions and arguments don't help.

Regards
Filippos

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at scummvm.org>wrote:

>  On 04/28/2011 04:33 PM, Vladimir Menshakov wrote:
>

> 28.04.2011, 17:56, "Johannes Schickel" <lordhoto at scummvm.org><lordhoto at scummvm.org>
> :
>
> On 04/28/2011 03:06 PM, Alex Bevilacqua wrote:
>
> I personally would prefer NSIS over InnoDB, but I'm curious if it may make
> more sense to investigate BitRock instead. Though it's proprietary, they
> offer an open source license (which I'm sure ScummVM would have no trouble
> proving eligibility for :P).
>

> Since it's proprietary I am strongly against it, even *if* they would give
> us some open source license.
>
> Maybe I missed that someone mentioned Wix, I could make installer scripts
> for it. :)
> It's open-source, written by m$ and produces standard MSI installation
> files tightly integrated with windows installer. Why do we use any
> third-party hackish tools?
>

> I am not aware that Wix runs on Linux and thus on our buildbot though. But
> maybe I just missed something?
>
> // Johannes
>
> PS: Could you please use plain text mails? Thanks in advance, since it is
> rather annoying to read HTML mails for some people...

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde