[Scummvm-devel] Android keys / market account

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Tue Aug 16 20:10:23 CEST 2011

On 08/16/2011 06:46 AM, Angus Lees wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 06:56, Eugene Sandulenko<sev at scummvm.org>  wrote:
>> So what is going on with the android port on the market?
> Atm, I haven't touched the market build in a long time and it's all my
> fault.  Every now and then I sit down to extract the signing key for
> Andre, realise I don't know anything about java's keystores and then
> get distracted before finding the right documentation :/
>
>> My current understanding that there were problems with (a) passing the
>> keys (b) switching the application namespace.
>>
>> Also as I remember, switching the namespace will break autoupdate and
>> will make old savegames inaccessible.
> Yes, switching namespace makes it a new/separate package as far as
> Android devices and the market are concerned.   This means no
> auto-upgrade, and existing savegames and scummvmrc will be
> ~inaccessible since they're under the old uid with restrictive file
> modes.

In fact that's probably less of a loss than having no new ScummVM
versions at all.

>> Still my stance is that we would better generate a fresh keypair, put
>> the application into org.scummvm. namespace and deploy it on the
>> market. It has been too long without an update and is much much better
>> to have saves broken than no application at all.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
> Other issues that might want to be discussed around the same time:
>
> - if we're breaking upgrades anyway, it would be nice to move
> scummvmrc and savegames onto the SD card.
> This makes it trivially easy for everyone to copy savegames on/off the
> phone, which is a frequently requested feature.  Should be as simple
> as changing the default path in the code, and ensuring the directory
> exists before writing.

This sounds like a good idea. I suspect it is pretty annoying to root
your device just to be able to copy over savegames and your config.

In fact couldn't we do this transition also when we keep the old marked
id? I mean we could change the code to prefer the SD card for the config
and if none is found read the internal one, but always try to write to
the SD card. Similar could probably be done for the saves too, to only
use the internal memory in case no SD card is present (but still be able
to load from internal memory for old saves).

> - should we remove plugins and just have one 'monolithic' package
> (like on scummvm.org/downloads)?
> This makes it _much_ easier for most people to use, but is too big for
> ancient Android phones (G1, HTC magic/dream, etc).  Last time I did a
> quick test, I don't think 1.3.0 worked on my G1 anyway :/

I just checked with someone I know and 1.3.0 is working on his G1
according to him (he tried Maniac Mansion at least).

// Johannes