[Scummvm-devel] Sword25 save system

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Wed Aug 24 23:28:59 CEST 2011

On 24 août 2011, at 14:24, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> On 24 August 2011 12:48, Eugene Sandulenko <sev at scummvm.org> wrote:
>> So, the question is. Should we rewrite whole save system for Sword25,
>> or claim that the saves are not interchangeable between platform with
>> different pointer size (32bit vs 64bit) and probably with different
>> endianness too.
> Just to clarify. I myself not very keen about the latter option, but
> fresh opinions are welcome.

I would also prefer to have interchangeable save games. After all it is not rare to exchange save game files between a (usually) ARM mobile device and a (usually) x86 desktop computer, or between PPC and x86 desktop computers. Although in this particular case considering how my not so old x86 computer struggles with the game (in term of performance) I cannot imagine playing it on my older PPC laptop or on a mobile device. So the non-interchangeable issue is probably less critical as with other games, although there is still the 32 vs. 64 bits issue.

On 24 août 2011, at 16:18, Filippos Karapetis wrote:
> All these require playtesting, and I'm not sure if the game is completable yet - I have reached a dead
> end, and haven't progressed since then. The game is stuck for me after the fire in the warehouse, as
> I can't use Nico's computer (unless I'm missing something here).

I completed the game about a month ago after Eugene fixed some sound issues. The only issue remaining I had was that the cutscenes were quite slow on my computer causing the sound and video to desynchronize.

Thierry