[Scummvm-devel] KYRA - Eye of the Beholder extension

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Fri Dec 2 16:10:54 CET 2011

On 2 December 2011 12:54, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com> wrote:
> So once again: If we think the reason that EoB 1+2 shares framework
> code with Kyra games is enough to accept it as "subengine", then it's
> fine to add it. That's for me the sole remaining question to be
> answered, but it seems people try to avoid to answer that. So please
> give a clear "yes" or "no" answer to this (and maybe some *short*
> explanation why). Until I hear anything about that I'm against merging
> this code and to clarify this is *not* because I don't want to include
> it, but rather because I want this point clarified clearly visible,
> i.e. without "interpreting" people's vague statements about it.

I find it difficult to tell what I think can be included in the
repository. So instead I will write what I think cannot be included.
For me three are three showstoppers:
1)	Code badly written that makes it harder to maintain.
2)	Code that does not have a maintainer (which I think is needed until
the engine is mature enough).
3)	Code not related at all to a 2D point&click adventure engine.

The Third point is to keep some sort of focus on adventure games, but
it is quite lenient and that probably means the focus is less strong
than it used to be, and I am fine with that. That doesn't mean I would
accept any well written code related to an adventure game but at least
I would consider it.

In the case of EOB 1+2, it passes my criteria (although I can’t claim
I spent much time looking at the code) and since I don't know how much
shared code there is with Kyra and I can't make a wise decision, I
will not oppose a merge. So this is a yes from me.
(note: from what I have read in this thread with the games apparently
sharing more than just file formats this would probably be a yes
anyway if I had the knowledge to make a wise decision)

Thierry