[Scummvm-devel] Windows experience

J. King jking at jkingweb.ca
Fri Dec 23 01:31:24 CET 2011

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:35:56 -0500, Willem Jan Palenstijn
<wjp at usecode.org> wrote:

>> There is no standard location for saved games, that covers all the
>> various Windows versions. A standard location ( %USERPROFILE%\Saved
>> games ) for saved games is only available in Windows Vista/7. APPDATA is
>> only mean for configuration/preference files, while My Documents is only
>> meant for user created files.
>
> There are hundreds of modern Windows games around. Surely there's
> something
> resembling a consensus about where savegames go?

You'd be surprised.  Just about the only thing modern games -do- agree on
is that %programfiles%\<AppDir> is not the right place, but that's hardly
surprising.  However, I should point out that Windows 7 (and possibly
Windows Vista, but I no longer have an installed system to check) does
have a very explicit, built-in and specially-styled "%USERPROFILE%\Saved
Games" folder, which Windows' built-in games use, but which only two other
games I've installed on this machine use.

Everything else uses either "%documents%\<AppName>" or
"%documents%\<Vendor>\<AppName>" [1], "%documents%\My Games\<AppName>" [2]
or more rarely "%AppData%\<Vendor>\<AppName>" [3].

Personally I'd very much like to see ScummVM use "%USERPROFILE%\Saved
Games" (I have my home-made launcher use this when it exists) or failing
that "%documents%\My Games\<AppName>".  Anything else is just obscure
and/or messy.

[1] for big vendors like BioWare, EA, etc
[2] mostly XP-era games, but also newer titles like Fallout: New Vegas;
this was a built-in folder in Windows XP, if memory serves, but wasn't
used much until much later
[3] e.g. the Drawn series and some adventure games like those from
FrogWares, none of which I seem to have installed on this machine

--
J. King