[Scummvm-devel] [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm:[55130] scummvm/trunk/configure

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Fri Jan 7 14:33:02 CET 2011

Just a 2p 'me too' reply,

For what it is worth (as a porter primarily, even as one who has unworking
ports in trunk currently ;)) I agree with Max's view totally.

> But I'd like to avoid mistakes from the past. These days, I'd like to only
add
> engines if I know they have a future; it's not enough for me that they
have a
> past. With git, it'll be so easy for me to review engines even outside the
> main tree, and preserving history won't be an issue anymore either. This
is
> so because it seems to be very difficult to get rid of an engine once it
has
> been added.

It seems obvious to me that the move to a DVCS makes the process of
maintenance, sharing, probation and visibility an awful lot better at the
code level.

I think most of the issues being discussed here are common to any successful
project that has a lot of interest and development (even If it is in fits
and starts).

The key thing we need to get sorted is the viability hierarchy IMHO, GIT
with official and 'probation' trees/branches and links to feeding trees and
other related things goes a long way to making that happen at the code
level. We should also maybe look at how we encourage documentation to be
shared/produced/marked (WiKi, Planet etc.), I am not totally sure what to
suggest here but some guidelines maybe a good idea? I know we have a lot
already, but do we shout about it enough ;).

We did the ground work some time ago with things like the Planet etc.
(focussing on the wider community etc.) but it can only ever show what
people choose to publish ;), quite how we engage a wider community into that
process is something I am really not sure on but ScummVM is more than big
enough to need to give this some thought I think.

When I talk about the community I tend to think of developers and users that
we have a 2 way relationship with, i.e. people who we already engage rather
than the bulk of the download and user 'userbase'. I am not sure what others
tend to think of.

Cheers,

John