[Scummvm-devel] scummvm-tools git conversion, second edition

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jan 7 16:20:31 CET 2011

Am 07.01.2011 um 14:01 schrieb Ori Avtalion:

> Hey all,
>
> Here's the updated repository:
>
> https://github.com/salty-horse/scummvm-tools/

Great work!

First impression:
* git clone https://github.com/salty-horse/scummvm-tools
    less than 5 seconds -> includes *full* revision history
* svn co https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/tools
    1 minute 5 secs, creating tons of useless branch checkouts that I only very rarely need
* svn co https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/tools/trunk
    still 21 seconds

And the speed gain continues, because "git blame", "git log", etc. all work offline. And I just *love* "git grep" for searching through the code.

However, there is one issue: The converted repository is missing trunk/decompiler/test/cxxtest, which is currently realized via svn:external. I guess we'll just have to import it.

[...]

> Attached is the script I used.
>
> It assumes a git-svn'd repository (without any author name manipulation).
> I think it can be useful for other migration. Maybe it should be put on the wiki (without the author list).

Please do so.

Regarding the authors file, people really should look over this once more. And make sure that the authors file contains an email address that is in the list of your email addresses in your github account.

People, take a look at <https://github.com/salty-horse/scummvm-tools/contributors>. If you committed to the ScummVM tools at some point, and have a github account, you should see it there. If not, then the email address Ori used in the author list is not currently setup in your github account, see above.

> If people are OK with how the repository looks, we can start discussing actual workflow :)

I'd like to play a bit with this, like adding some code review comments (just to see how they work), maybe forking the thing and then issuing a pull request, etc.
I assume it's save to do so, as we'd recreate the repos one final time, but then in the ScummVM org, right? I.e. I can play a bit?