[Scummvm-devel] Does create_Questions about engines .mk files and create_project

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Thu Jan 20 19:41:57 CET 2011

On 01/20/2011 07:25 PM, Mathieu BERGOUNIOUX wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to ScummVM, so expect to receive many questions from me in the
> next few weeks, not all of them very clever, as I'm also not very good
> with compilation processes (makefiles, etc.)
>
> Right now I've got 2 questions:
>
> 1/ About "create_project"
>
> Does "create_project" (from the nightly build) base its project files
> generation solely on the "module.mk <http://module.mk>" file present
> in the engine's folder?
> In other words :
> - If my module.mk <http://module.mk> is right, will my Visual Studio
> Solution be created correctly? Where else does it pick information from?

If you want an engine to get picked up by create_project, it must have a
valid module.mk file and also you need to register it in the configure
script. It's pretty easy to do that though, you should just look at the
engine list in configure lines 78-115.

> - For example, does the engine folder HAVE to be in "../../engines"
> from the dist/msvc10 folder ? (I believe some of the relative paths
> are hard-coded in create_project)

That is correct every engine has to be in the srcdir/engines folder. The
folder name of the engine also needs to match the engine name you gave
the engine in the configure script.

> 2/ About $srcdir
>
> I can see in most module.mk <http://module.mk> that they include
> rules.mk <http://rules.mk> using :    "include $(srcdir)/rules.mk
> <http://rules.mk>".
> Where is $rcdir defined? I take it it#s an environm,ent variable, but
> I'm not sure when and how it's defined.

It is defined when running configure. The definition will get placed in
the config.mk file which is created by configure and used in the
Makefile based build system.

// Johannes