[Scummvm-devel] Readme stable? + Readme GUI button

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Wed Jul 13 13:16:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

it is good news to hear that the Readme seems to be stable enough and no major rewrite is planned but rather additions to it.
However, with the topic "GUI translations" I see some little problems:
1) Thierry already wrote a section for the short translation template on how to change the GUI to the language the translated Readme is written in. Having it twice in the translation might be odd. On the other hand we would be missing more detailed information if we don't translate the extra paragraph that is planned.
2) I think we should change the place of the setting for choosing the GUI language. It is not easy to find esepcially when having it changed to a language one does not understand by accident or curiousness.
I think we should place a drop down box on the top of the GUI near the "Search" field. That way it won't be missed so easily. As I think language is a very important aspect, it should justify placing it there.

For my suggestion about the Readme button and storing the Readme in the EXE:

> No, there is already too much stored inside the Windows executable file.

I find this way to argue a little unfair. When I said in earlier discussions that putting the GUI files and translations.dat in the EXE would take too much space, this was not a valid argument. Strangely it is here.

Anyway, I think I found a solution to my problem to properly display a translated Readme on older Windows systems: I just found out that if the file exceeds a certain size on Windows 98, it is opened in WordPad - with the right encoding. So if I translate a larger portion, the Readme file will be opened with the right encoding. :)

However, my second point about the readme button that I may have missed to make clear still remains: It would help people to notify them that there is a translation if there is a Readme button and it opens the translated Readme for the GUI's language (if available). I don't think many people might look around in the doc folders at once to find the translated versions since they find the English readme in the base ScummVM directory.
I find the path system Thierry and me have worked out good, though I am still missing ideas on how to make the translated Readmes known to people. A Readme button might have helped.

By the way, can someone add the translated Readmes (French + German) with the paths they are in (doc/translations/de, doc/translations/fr) to the current development version in such a way that it will be included in the Windows and other platform's builds?

Kind regards
Simon