[Scummvm-devel] OSystem::displayLogFile()

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jun 3 13:36:48 CEST 2011

Hi there,

I made a preliminary implementation of OSystem::displayLogFile(), for Mac OS X only. I hope others will add at least implementations for Windows and Linux. I hope the doxygen docs are clear enough for that, but if in doubt, ask.

There is one issue where I am a bit undecided on how to resolve it: What if ScummVM is in fullscreen mode when this call is used? Three possibilities:
1) Don't worry about it at all ;)
2) Require the backend to ensure the user can actually see the newly opened log (so e.g. automatically leave fullscreen mode)
3) Require the frontend to do this.

Now more things than leaving fullscreen mode might be necessary on some ports, which seems to indicate #2. On the other hand, it's not great if the backend changes the video options "behind" the active engine's back. And on some systems, it might not even be necessary to leave fullscreen mode (I can't think of any, but then...). Then again, I see little harm coming from this...

So, I lean towards 2, but didn't want to codify this yet.