[Scummvm-devel] MT-32 option causing crashes / silent exits in 1.3.0

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun Jun 5 11:26:10 CEST 2011

Hi there,

we got several reports on the forums by now (and on the bug tracker) about people suffering from ScummVM crashing resp. silently exiting due to invalid MIDI settings, typically involving MT-32. Most of these users probably never selected MT-32 consciously. Rather, we changed ScummVM in some way that causes this.

I am sure that for every report we get, at least two other users give up in frustration. Veeery bad. :( And this issue is not new, either, we had reports on this before, I think. I really hope "somebody" will start working on fixes for master and for the apparently quite necessary 1.3.1.

So, in a nutshell: If the MT-32 emu is selected but not available (not compiled in, missing control ROM files, whatever), we should not silently exit. If we *must* exit, then only with an error dialog that explains the situation. Better, though, to use a fallback, as we used to do in the past.

I have some more stuff to say, but that's the core, and I don't want to scare off people with my overly-long emails :)