[Scummvm-devel] Searching for extra porters

Oystein Eftevaag oystein at geheb.com
Wed Jun 8 01:00:11 CEST 2011

Great idea!

I imagine there's a big *potential* pool of people who'd like to help
out, but I would think the main two blockers would be:
* Too big of a threshold to set up a working toolchain (this is
definitely an issue for the iOS "unofficial" SDK, at least), and
* Not knowing where to start / what to work on (other than personal
ideas for improvement).

Making sure the build information is up to date and clearly linked from
the announcement, should help take care of nr. 1. As well as maybe
providing contact details for whoever can give assistance (I've helped
several people out with getting the iOS toolchain up and running in the
past, and I'm always happy to do so). For every five people who start
the process, I can easily imagine four of them giving up on the way at
the first roadblock.

For the second, maybe it might be as easy as providing a small TODO list
on the wiki (linked from the announcement), of bugs and improvements to
the port that are 1) reasonably small (i.e. quick), and 2) makes some
sort of visual difference, i.e. higher sense of accomplishment. Someone
who actually gets a patch accepted into the official codebase will be
far more likely to contribute more in the future. And the step from
that, to being able to provide release builds when needed, isn't that high.

// Oystein/vinterstum