[Scummvm-devel] Dreamweb engine inclusion.

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Tue Jun 14 11:32:52 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 01:04:43PM +0400, Vladimir Menshakov wrote:
>    Good news, everyone! (c)
>
>    As you might see on the irc, dreamweb engine reached quite mature state. I
>    tested both CD and floppy version, they both could be completed and have
>    no visual artefacts or glitches. Both save/loading are supported.
>    But this engine may seem unusal comparing to the other scummvm's engines.
>    I wrote tasm recompilator which translate most of the game logic, skipping
>    platform-dependent stuff. This recompiler is not dreamweb-specific and may
>    be reused later for some another game probably. The generated sources
>    reside in dreamgen.xxx files. Tasm recompiler is in devtools/tasmrecover.
>    So, I think that it's ready for inclusion in the main tree, so we could
>    continue polish it there, as well as adding launcher integration and
>    cleaning generated source from warnings.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant exactly by this, so I asked on IRC.

Apparently there's a restricted .asm file that is the input for this
recompiler?

If so, this makes me wonder if this is sufficiently open source for us (and for
the GPL). Note that the GPLv2 defines source as "the preferred form of the work
for making modifications to it". So this depends on your intentions for the
future.

-Willem Jan