[Scummvm-devel] Fwd: Found cause for translation problem

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Mon Jun 20 16:09:05 CEST 2011

> Hello everyone,
>
> > This sounds like https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/31 .
>
> I personally think there should be an option in the configure file to
> switch this on or off - and it should be switched off by default. As I
> figure it, it would be much more handy if ScummVM is flexible and theme
> data could be modified manually without having to recompile ScummVM each
> time.

You can still use an external theme file. The problem right now is that the
priority of the internal files is higher than of external files.

> Somebody might also want to test out changes on other things than the
> translation, for example he might experiment with the theme design. Also,
> when having external files anyway, I think it's a pretty waste of space
> when saving this data into the executable anyway.

The idea is not to include the external files anymore, but rely on the included
ones. This should make 100% sure that a user will always have the correct files
for the version he is running, even when he has two ScummVM versions installed
at once (like daily + stable).

> Somebody might not even
> want to have translations (for example due to size, performance of slower
> machine...). Before this pulling request, people could just delete the
> translations.dat, now they are stuck in the scummvm.exe.

That's right, but if you don't use translations, the file will not be loaded
anyway. And realistically speaking in case of Win32 support, I doubt anyone
really uses ScummVM on a system which can not even live with a 208KB file size
increase.

// Johannes