[Scummvm-devel] Fwd: Found cause for translation problem

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Mon Jun 20 22:51:00 CEST 2011

Hello,

> Assuming the (reasonable) priority change is made, is there a risk that
> users who use the no-installer ZIP distribution of ScummVM by
> extract-overwriting their old copy may end up leaving old files around
> which then get interpreted as overrides?

That was exactly my point in one of the last emails. I got the answer that there are technical steps that will just use the file in the case that it is working to avoid this problem. However, all translations.dat files will be working - they just will miss strings on different degrees. However, there might be included some sort of version number in the .dat files so that ScummVM knows whether to use the files or rather the in-built ones.

> If somebody can demonstrat problems on a real system that are caused
> by embedding data files into the .exe, then we can discuss how to deal
> with them.

I hope with real system you don't mean up-to-date system but real computer. Unfortunately, I don't have a real 486 computer around, but I could rather quickly set up a Win 95 Virtual Machine. Would that count too? :)

Anyway, I don't like if all these - for me useless - data is being built in my binary when compiling myself. It is not only a waste of space but also a waste of compiling time and thus life time for me since I prefer using external files. Of course I could just go to backends/platform/sdl/win32/win32.cpp and remove the line s.add("Win32Res", new Win32ResourceArchive(), priority); (thanks to wjp for the hint), but that is quite a dirty hack and also takes quite an amount of lifetime if I have to do this with every source bundle I download. It would be rather easier for me if I just go to the configure and disable the corresponding list entry (for example: incapacitation=no :) ).

So please, add at least such an on/off switch to the configure (turned on by default) and I think everybody of us might be happy.

Regards
Simon