[Scummvm-devel] Release 1.3.0 status -- 2010-04-24

Tarek Soliman tarek-spam at zeusmail.bounceme.net
Thu Jun 23 20:49:34 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 02:20:49PM +0200, Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> > Unless you plan to drop support for Maemo<  5 right away, *and* also know for sure that you'll have the time to write a completely new backend from scratch, I'd say it's definitely worth to spend the couple hours necessary to turn the patch into a proper backend :).
>
> The easiest for me is to continue with the SDL patch until Maemo 4 or 5
> finally dies but I'll see how easy is to minimize current patch with the
> new modularized SDL backend code.
>
> In longer term it would be nice if some new QT/OpenGL ES based backend
> appeared and made my code obsolete :-)
>
> Actually I no longer use Maemo devices regularly (got Openpandora
> console and Nook Color Android tablet, both are possibly better for
> ScummVM gaming than Maemo devices). Also I didn't have time to play any
> ScummVM game myself on any platform in last two years or so (except
> testing for scummvm releases) due to real life, so the motivation for
> big changes in Maemo ScummVM backend is currently not very high :-)

Since I have a Maemo 4 device and am interested in keeping that particular
port alive (official or otherwise) I intend to pick up the work that
Frantisek has no time for.

I already set up the development environment for maemo 4 which was the
biggest hurdle and have compiled the source for 1.2.0 with it.

I was going to try to port the changes to 1.3.0 next but realized it was
a waste of time if I want it to ever hit scummvm/master.

I think I will instead focus on doing Max's suggestions which would be
how this port would be saved and eventually run under buildbot.

Any suggestions/direction are welcome.
--
Tarek