[Scummvm-devel] New (fixed) version of libSDL needed on buildbot for WinCE port

Ismail Khatib ikhatib at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:13:46 CEST 2011

On 6/30/2011 2:42 AM, D G Turner wrote:
> On 06/29/11 21:24, Ismail Khatib wrote:
>   I have access and could look at doing this, but a question first:
That would be very nice! As I don't think you want to compile the library
yourself, you'll need a compiled version, right? I will put it on my site
this afternoon and post the link then.

>   Is there any specific reason that WinCE port is still using SDL 1.2.6
>   rather than the latest 1.2.14?
>
>   Apart from the obvious "We have tested with this before" and "The
>   patches only apply cleanly on this version".
Yep, apart from these two: it still takes some time, see below ;)

On 6/30/2011 3:14 AM, Johannes Schickel wrote:
>>   If these are the only reasons and we are updating this anyway, it
>>   would be useful to look at the latest SDL and see if those patches
>>   are still required and if so, whether they can be rebased onto
>>   v1.2.14.
> Yes, since we do patch SDL quite a bit we definitly need parts of the custom
> patch(s). For example the landscape handling is handled inside the SDL
> library. Also we have a custom video output implementation (the GAPI code),
> not sure whether something similar is in the upstream SDL code though.
The main cause that I didn't upgrade to 1.2.14 is that WinCE support in the
current version of SDL has a lot more bugs/missing features, for example
it also contains GAPI code right now, but the rotation handling of the
screen/
mouse is very buggy. Also, in "our" modified version we have some ARM
assembly to increase the speed of some operations.
> I can't say anything on how much work it is to patch a up to date SDL with
> that though.
I've already started with this some time ago, however as both versions
differ
very much right now (even the constant name for the landscape mode is
different currently, and that's only the beginning of the list) I decided to
dedicate my time to fixing the bugs in the ScummVM backend first, and after
that I will patch the current version of SDL.
My old patch against 1.2.13 is available here (it's from 2009):
http://blog.cryptopath.org/2009/07/how-to-compile-scummvm-with-latest-mingw32ce-and-sdl/

But a few test builds which were tested by some forum members and myself
proved that this still needs some work before releasing a new ScummVM
version with this version of SDL.
//
So you see, that's definitely on my TODO list ;)

The current fixes for SDL 1.2.6 are rather critical as they fix two very
annoying
bugs such as wrong cursor coordinate mapping (on devices with auto-rotate
activated or slider hardware keyboards) and a fix for the problem that
hardware
keyboards are not working at all on some devices.

My proposal would be: let's update the library with the fixed one now, and
after I've successfully patched 1.2.14 with "our" modifications and the
resulting
version is tested well enough by the forum members and myself, we'll
upgrade to 1.2.14.

:)

Cerial