[Scummvm-devel] GSoC application submitted

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Thu Mar 10 14:27:22 CET 2011

Hey Team,

> I just submitted the application. I copied over lots of text from 2009
with
> slight modifications, and made a backup at
> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Summer_of_Code/Application/2011
> (for some reason I forgot to make a backup for 2010 app, bad, bad).
>
> Still there are two days for updating it, so if you want to come with
different
> wording, feel free to edit Wiki page and drop me a line, and I will update
> the app.
>
> Also I need list of mentors, currently only three devs have applied.

I would just like to follow up Engene's mail with a request and extend the
plea for expressions of interest as mentors, co-mentors or just general
helpers.

Anyway, on to my request, could anybody involved in the project (not just
potential mentors) please help us get a good quality and current set of the
open task ideas onto the Wiki.

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/OpenTasks#Current_Open_Tasks currently
collects up these tasks from all over the wiki, provided the task uses the
Infobox_OpenTask wiki template. It also collects up TODO's that use the
Infobox_TODO template. This makes it easy for potential GSoC students to
find the information relating to open tasks and TODO's in one place (and
anyone else for that matter).

I spent a little time recently reworking the open tasks and still am. Taking
this forward we need to review and clean up the tasks we have marked as open
(and respond to comments on the tasks in red). We should also add any
additional tasks (and technical contacts) to the wiki that we would like to
see undertaken. I would greatly appreciate some help and input into this.

Additionally, all open tasks now have a GSoC Workload measure (tied to the
Infobox_OpenTask template). The GSoC Workload needs to be reviewed for all
the existing tasks and updated accordingly, it is just meant to give
students a 'ready reckoner' when they consider how much of the GSoC
commitment may be taken up by any one task. I guessed at some of the
workloads so I would appreciate the review ;).

At this stage adding a task or being a technical contact on a task in no way
means you would have to mentor the project but it does mean that you're at
least agreeing to provide input and technical direction on the task and help
with ensuring the task has a capable mentor should one be required (after
all a suitable student with a good proposal has to wish to undertake the
task before this becomes an issue).

Regards,

John Willis