[Scummvm-devel] CMake build system for ScummVM

Julien scummvm at templier.info
Thu May 5 22:34:02 CEST 2011

>I think that TODO item is pretty outdated, our configure/make based build system is working well for us and is flexible enough too. I am not sure how good CMake is for cross compiling to the more >trange platforms out there. Apart we have create_project nowadays, which can create MSVC project files out of our configure/make based build system and furthermore features a more sane >project layout than CMake did last time I used it.
>
>Personally I see no big use for a CMake based build system now, especially when it would be an additional system to use, since that would require us to maintain two systems (again). Maybe others >have a different opinion here though.

The one thing that create_project doesn't provide yet is XCode support and using CMake allows us to rely on it for updates to new project formats in the future.

That said, we will probably end up with a cmake build script that is just as complicated as the current configure with cmake-specific workarounds and hacks to support all our platforms. Whether the simplified project creation for non-configure based setups such as XCode or Visual Studio is enough to warrant a switch is hard to say at this time though.

So my advice to Miguel would be to continue to work on it as a way to learn more about CMake but not necessarily expect with 100% certainty that it will be merged at the end. Any change that can affect portability or support for embedded platforms is going to be met with doubts and some healthy criticism, so you need to be prepared to make appropriate changes and argue your case :)

Julien