[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Thu May 12 19:41:08 CEST 2011

Hi everybody,

> Actually I think most of these will not be translated since they occur in
> engine names or people names and I don't think we are going to translate
> those. Actually I would even prefer if we could filter in credits.pl the
> string we make translatable and exclude engine names and people names for
> example, because having many strings in the po file that we do not
> translate make it difficult to follow the status of the translations.

I disagree here. I think it should be possible to translate engine names because in German I would like to have "AGOS-Engine" instead of "AGOS Engine" - the latter one looking like the translator would have inserted a "fool's space" (Deppenleerzeichen). I also think it would be "Moteur de AGOS" in French, wouldn't it?

Moreover, I think we should move the credits into another po(t) file or at least into another section like at the ending after everything else was translated, because I think it is a should-have but not a must-have. It is professional to translate the credits, but other (s)t(r)hings have a higher priority.
   We could for example make a scummvm_credits.pot and create translation files like FR_fr_credits.po. What do you think about that?

Regards
Simon