[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri May 13 11:24:22 CEST 2011

Am 11.05.2011 um 23:11 schrieb Thierry Crozat:

> Le 9 mai 2011 à 11:22, Max Horn a écrit :

[...]
>> Right, I was implicitly assuming that all localizations would provide translations for all strings with HTML entities. But of course you are right, this might not be the case for some of them.
>
> Actually I think most of these will not be translated since they occur in engine names or people names and I don't think we are going to translate those.

The idea was to move the "burden" of having to map HTML entities to each encoding to the translator, who would know best how to map e.g. ö to the encoding of their translation. But if that doesn't ring well with people, we can ditch that. *shrug*

> Actually I would even prefer if we could filter in credits.pl the string we make translatable and exclude engine names and people names for example, because having many strings in the po file that we do not translate make it difficult to follow the status of the translations.

I can trivially exclude people's name. For engine names it would be slightly more work. If the 31 engine names really cause so much bother, I can look into adding e.g. a flag to begin_section to mark section titles that should not be translated.

> So the main issue for me is not translation but how to display correctly those special characters when using a font that doesn't have them (e.g. Ukrainian). I guess we could use a different marker (i.e. not _(string) but something similar) that will call a function to map html entities (or whatever way we want to code them) to either ASCII or latin1 without trying to translate them.

I am not sure I understand what you mean with the different marker or how you envision it would work / would be used. Some examples might help to illustrate your idea.

Anyway, the only HTML entity that is *not* in a person or engine engine name is that of the norwegian translation. So, in my proposal (modified to not translate person & engine names) this would result in *one* HTML entity ending up inside the msgid inside the .po files. Surely the translators can deal with that? :)