[Scummvm-devel] Release 1.3.0 status -- 2010-04-24

Frantisek Dufka dufkaf at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:30:40 CEST 2011

On 2.5.2011 15:18, Max Horn wrote:
> I just noticed that for the maemo port, the patch in backends/platform/maemo is still for 1.1.0. There is a patch for 1.2 in there inside the 1.2.x branch, though. Bad :/

IMO the patch does not belong to trunk at all because it is a diff
generated against code in specific branch. In ideal case it should be
the last commit before tagging the release so that some last minute
commit (e.g. to SDL backend source) will not break it. For trunk there
is no stable code to make the patch against.

The real solution would be getting rid of the patch altogether and have
real backend code committed (inherited from from SDL backend in this
case), not patch.

As for future of Maemo port overall, I see the current SDL based backend
suitable only for Maemo < 5. It works on Maemo5 too but IMO this
approach should slowly die with Maemo4/OS2008. So maybe making current
patch into real backend code is a wasted time.

Maemo5/Maemo6/Harmattan/Meego has QT and OpenGL ES so there is a
potential for completely different (QT based?) backend possibly shared
with other devices using QT and/or OpenGL ES. Also since Nokia moved to
Meego (and then abandoned it) there is no future for Maemo. Maemo
6/Harmattan is last. And Meego is rpm based (Maemo5 and 6 is .deb based)
so it would need different build files anyway so there is really not
much to reuse from current Maemo port for Meego.

Frantisek