[Scummvm-devel] Dreamweb for 1.5.0?

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:42:06 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Vladimir Menshakov <whoozle at yandex.ru>wrote:

> It was completable since addition to the trunk. :) But I think you could
> forget about it.

The fact that a game is completable was never the main issue here. Yes,
it's cool that you did this automated Assembly to C conversion, but the end
result is clearly not C++, and certainly NOT what all of the other engines
are. Automated assembly converters are not what this project is about. Our
aim is to rewrite original game engines into clean and readable C++... and
dreamweb in its current state is not C++, it's pseudo-assembly. The fact
that the game is completable doesn't change this.

> Many people here too bothered with HOW it was added. And they does not
> care about the scummvm users and does not care about the mission of the
> scummvm,

A lot of people have praised you for your idea of this automated conversion
script. But, the end result, although better than the original Assembly
code (but without comments)  is not what is expected in this project. Our
"mission" is what makes us what we are... otherwise ScummVM's whole code
could be about platform games running on toasters, or it could all be in
Assembly... why bother to write everything in C++ when we can just use the
original assembly? We have an aim, and we stick to it, otherwise we're not
a project, but a big blob of messy code.

> but only for their egoes.All moaning about stability and support (of
> dreamweb engine) are now looked like BS to me.

Excuse me, but this is blatant trolling and I really don't feel like
starting a flame war with you. You have an attitude problem here, and
please accept it. We want a rewritten engine in C++, not half-baked
Assembly code. Calling other people names really doesn't help.

> The main work in the engine had been done

A lot of work has been done, yes. But clearly, the current state of the
engine is far from complete, and no, the MAIN work (i.e. the Assembly ->
C++ conversion) has not been done.

> (after I'd lost my motivation, because of stupid drama here) by the new
> guy and he prove it.

You lost your motivation? Why? Because we didn't want to have Assembly-like
C code in our tree, created by an automated tool? The engine in its current
state is not maintainable, and this has been mentioned in the past. You
wanted to have the code supported in this state, which can't be done, and
then you got bored of doing the actual conversion. It was you who lost your
motivation without reason, as you did something and expected everyone else
to applaud, pat you on the back and accept it without disagreement. Once
you saw that this code couldn't be supported in its current state, you
decided not to do anything about it and let someone else do the real
conversion. This is what Bertrand has been trying to do, and you never
helped him in this at all.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you felt insulted and decided to leave, but you have
an ego problem here, and your attitude here does not help at all. Please
try to be more cooperative in the future, and don't assume that everyone
will agree to your ideas all the time, otherwise you'll be living in a
dream world, and it's time you snapped out of it.

Best of luck to your future endeavors

Regards
Filippos

--
"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde