[Scummvm-devel] Wiki Software update

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Mon Nov 14 18:04:05 CET 2011

On 14 November 2011 01:05, D G Turner <d.g.turner at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>  Would it be possible and desirable to have database downloads of the
>  wiki for backup/offline use available? i.e. as per:
>  http://dumps.wikimedia.org/

Can you explain what you think it would be used for?

Mediawiki can generate a dump of the database to XML with the
maintenance scripts and I am doing it from time to time. I am also
doing a raw database tables dump (in SQL format). Those two however
are not in a very friendly format and exclude all images (i.e. you
also need a backup of the images folder from the server to get the
full content). In my opinion they are only useful for backups or to
replicate the server (which for example I did on my laptop for testing
upgrades, extensions or skins). I can't see many peoples interested in
that, and if a team member would like them I can provide those backups
on demand (if Eugene and Arnaud are fine with it). Automatic dumps is
an issue with the current mediawiki we have on the server because the
maintenance scripts need a file on the server with the admin login and
password to the database, which might pose a security risk (so I am
only temporarilly copying the file on the server when doing the
backups). However this seems to have changed with mediawiki 1.16 so
after the update this might be a possibility.

By the way, you have a simple export built into mediawiki: see
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Special:Export

A more interesting options I think would be the possibility to get a
hardcopy of the wiki or part of the wiki (e.g. in PDF, HTML, DocBook
XML). There are a number of extensions doing that. I looked at those
in the past and didn't find a very good one. I could have a look again
(and you are welcome to also have a look and propose a nice extension
if you know or find one).

Thierry