[Scummvm-devel] state of the ScummVM Android port, again

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 24 09:19:23 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 09:22:14AM +1100, Angus Lees wrote:
> We only need broken out plugins for ancient devices (G1 era), which had such
> a tiny amount of internal flash that they couldn't fit all of ScummVM in
> there at once.

Well, my worry is that a -Os/stripped build of just the stable engines
produces a 15mb libscummvm.so, and that I see people with much newer
devices than the G1 complaining about only having less space than that
left -- and it's rather nice not having ScummVM killed from under you if
you switch to another app, too, so I don't know if background cache/RAM
usage might be an issue on those too -- and if we kept using dynamic
plugins to conserve RAM then we're going to end up using even more cache
space to store them all, right?

Do you (or anyone else) know if any of that is a problem?

One simple option would be to provide a few plugin 'packs', such as the
ones used by the WinCE/DS/etc ports -- that would be relatively easy
to make work, and a low-effort thing to do for the 1.4.0 release.

> (<Android 2.0 and >=2.0 should do the trick). It means more work for us come
> release time.  Alternatively we could just abandon G1 users...

Well, given the lack of care the Android port has received recently, I think
adding more complications is perhaps a bad idea. And there are still quite a
number of G1 users using ScummVM, apparently..

In any case, Gus, would it be possible for you to remove your plugin packs
from the Market? It would be nice to keep the base package upgradeable so
that we can replace it with something to preserve savegames, and it is set
to Android 1.5/1.6 only anyway, but the plugin packs really clutter up a
search. :-)

- fuzzie