[Scummvm-devel] Bugtracker: standardization of group names

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 27 12:58:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:46:16PM +0200, Arnaud Boutonné wrote:
> Currently, we support 182 games according to the current compatibility list
> (plus the fanmade games), which is imho far too much for a single list of
> values. As a result, I have a clear preference for using only the Engine
> name. This would mainly benefit the developers who could more easily filter
> on the engine(s) they are supporting.
> As it would be less obvious for the user, this information should be added
> somewhere: in the compatibility or in the console, for example.

My issues here:

* I'm not sure the large number of games is an issue, although if we're going
  to bundle things under internal names like 'Composer games' then I would
  like to see it discussed. But apart from the AGI/SCI games it's a nice
  alphabetical list which can be easily searched by game name (with some
  exceptions like Living Books and now composer).

* It will mean that people working on only a subset of the larger engines
  can't filter on only the games they're working on. On the other hand
  SF's tracker doesn't really handle groups very nicely anyway, so we end
  up adding the 'ITE Floppy' type prefixes to the bug summaries..

* I think the requirement for a user to look up the engine will add confusion,
  especially with engine names like 'tinsel', 'cge', 'tsage'. I seem to
  remember a recent argument where the general opinion was that we should
  stick to original names because we only use them internally. :)
  We do have the text displayed above the 'add new' page, though, where we
  could give a list or a link to the compatibility page.

- fuzzie