[Scummvm-devel] Windows experience

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Mon Jan 30 15:05:49 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:28:46AM +1100, Travis Howell wrote:
> On 27/01/2012 2:38 PM, J. King wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:34:43 -0500, Travis
> > Howell<kirben at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >> I'm against changing the default save games directory again, since
> >> these changes have already been made to ScummVM. We will have users
> >> who are using the new save games directory, which would require
> >> further migration.
> >
> > This is, I think, a sensible position.  I wonder, however, if there
> > isn't a solution which can meet both perceived needs.  It seems to me
> > that one should be able to create a symbolic link at install-time:
> >
> > mkdir "%appdata%\ScummVM" mkdir "%appdata%\ScummVM\Saved games"
> > mklink /d "%userprofile%\Saved Games\ScummVM"
> > "%appdata%\ScummVM\Saved games"
> >
> > If it fails (because symbolic links are not supported by the
> > installed version of Windows, or because conditions do not meet the
> > ridiculous requirements for symlinks in Windows 7), it can be
> > silently ignored and no harm is done.  If it succeeds, saved games
> > are in a visible location which is accessible, searchable and
> > generally more friendly, without the need for any changes in ScummVM
> > itself, and it need not even be an advertised feature.  On the other
> > hand, it might perhaps be confusing if User A has the link and User B
> > does not when the only different between them is that B's user
> > profile is on a network share, or what have you.
>
> Yes, adding a symbolic link under Windows Vista/7 is a good solution. I
> updated the Windows installer to add the default save game directories,
> and create the suggested symbolic link for Windows Vista/7 only.
>
> Adding a symbolic link under Windows Vista/7 requires elevated
> Administrator access, but I think the Windows installer already requires
> Administrator access anyway.

What's the point of a symbolic link? If the place we're putting that link is
better, why don't we just put the savegames there? If it isn't, why have the
symbolic link at all?

I don't think it's too late to change the save game directory again, by the
way. Yes, some users will be impacted, but so be it.

-Willem Jan