[Scummvm-devel] DOC translation problems

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Mon Jan 30 16:47:13 CET 2012

Hi,

> Even an out dated README is still useful, if it is in a users native
> language. I don't see the point in always including only the English
> version either, when users might not understand any English at all.

I guess we are thinking about two different groups of people. You think about people knowing only one language, I think about people whose mother tongue is the translated language but understand also some English. Those people would prefer the translation for comfort, but if the translation is outdated, they may as well prefer the English documentation that is up-to-date but just harder to read. That's why I think installing both the English documentation and the translated one makes sense if the system detects that the translation is not based on the latest SHA1 ID.

> All translations should be installed, or only the native language should
> be installed. With Start Menu only offering links to documentation in
> native language, in the case of Windows installer.

As far as I know, there is no option in the Windows installer to install all languages. I would like to see that one. I imagine it similiar to Pidgin. Would that be possible?

> No, I think adding notes about SHA1 ID, or any other developer specific
> notes to documentation is a very bad idea. We have had several releases
> with developer notes included in documentation in the past, since the
> developer notes were often not removed before release.

Can't there be an automated system (like bots) who take care of removing those notes prior to a release?
   Alternatively, the SHA1 ID could be included in the commit message. This would have the advantage that it would ensure the SHA1 ID is up-to-date (else it could happen that the string in the document is forgotten to update). What do you think about that?

> The QuickStart file offers a brief quick guide for people, who usually
> wouldn't even look through our large README file.

Is that pure speculation or do you have evidence for that? Because my opinion is different: Normally, users are eager to get a programme working as soon as possible. So they do first start and try it out. If there are problems, they will open a help file and look for keywords that matches their problem best or for a section to get started (which is easy to find in the README).
   If you have evidence that users rather read QuickStart files than big README's, you are invited to show me evidence. I'm open to let me convince of the opposite. If you have for example some forum postings saying "I read in the QuickStart [...]", please let me know.

Kind regards
Simon Sawatzki