[Scummvm-devel] ATTN: Proposed layout for git repository

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Sun Sep 23 19:35:10 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 07:33:43PM +0300, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I started work on finally moving all of our repositories to github.
>
> Historically we had the following repositories:
>
>   buildbot  -- buildbot.scummvm.org scripts
>   docs/trunk/docbook -- obsolete documentation in docbook format
>   doxygen -- doxygen.scummvm.org site
>   engine-data/tags/* -- obsolete repo for .dat files
>   forum/trunk -- forums.scummvm.org theme
>   media/* -- gfx media
>   scummex/* -- ScummEX tool
>   scummvm/* -- moved to git://scummvm
>   tools/* -- moved to git://scummvm-tools
>   vendor -- imported source code
>   web/* -- scummvm.org site
>   web-planet -- planet.scummvm.org site
>   wiki/trunk -- wiki.scummvm.org theme
>
> I propose the following simplified schema:
>
> web -- web repo
> sites -- buildbot, doxygen, forum, web-planet, wiki repos

> vendor -- vendor repo, since it is highly optional

Do we want to keep any of the things in vendor?

> misc -- docs, engine-data, media, scummex

I don't think scummex really fits there. If anything, it should be its own repo
(for easier forking and such), but we may want to just skip it entirely since
it hasn't been touched in ages.

> The combined repositories will share the history and each current
> submodule will sit in a subdirectory in the git repo.

How would this work in practice with, say, buildbot? How would we keep the live
version synced with the repo? (Since we can't check out a subdirectory of a
repository on its own like with svn, as far as I know.)

Another option would be separate branches (without any common root) in a single
repo. (Also a bit of a hack, but I want to at least mention it.)

> What do you think about the proposed schema?
>
> Do we need scummvm- prefix to all repos? I think we don't.

Given that we already have it for -tools, it might be more consistent to add it.
(And does it influence sort order on github's repo list?)

-Willem Jan