[Scummvm-devel] Bringing our Core Code to another Level?

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 12 21:39:49 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 06:50:10PM +0200, Arnaud Boutonné wrote:
> So, wouldn't it be possible to imagine some kind of umbrella organization,
> with micro-orgs lying under , and try to structure something based on that?
> the micro-orgs would benefit the aura of ScummVM and it's core, and could
> focus on specific engines specifcally rejected by ScummVM (Arcade games,
> RPG games, whatever).

Of course, that would be a separate issue to splitting out the core. You
wouldn't need to split out the core to have an umbrella-type organization
and you wouldn't need an umbrella-type organization to have third-party
projects using the core (and I'm sure we can manage to have core changes
discussed among the active non-ScummVM projects without needing some
formal umbrella).

Also it's probably an issue to burden poor overloaded buildbot with some
non-adventure engines for example. And we probably don't really want to
have to deal with them in our bugtracker etc.

The talk of the ScummVM 'branding' is true, but .. in the end, ScummVM is
about 2D point-and-click adventure games, and this core split shouldn't
be some way to 'sneak' non-adventure games under that branding.

Of course if we as a project are okay with a more formalised 'sister
project' /'umbrella' relationship with micro-orgs then that would be great.
Just as dreammaster said it's kind of more of a 'managerial' issue.

- Alyssa