[Scummvm-devel] We need to upgrade our forums

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 02:50:06 CET 2013

The conversion from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is pretty straightforward, and is
explained here:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/docs/INSTALL.html#convert

The issue here is the forum theme. I had done some work on a phpBB3
theme... it's incomplete, but it's a good starting place:
https://github.com/bluegr/scummvm-phpBB3-theme

Also, note that the old sf.net archives are a separate script, with
separate tables, thus they can be left as they are:
http://forums.scummvm.org/archives.php

A good plan to upgrade, IMHO, would be:
1) create a separate subdomain for the phpBB3 forums, e.g.
forums3.scummvm.org and copy over the forum files to that subdomain.
Max did make such a subdomain for this purpose. I can't remember which one
it was
2) Copy over the database to a new test database
3) Perform the upgrade in the test subdomain, checking for any issues that
may arise. The theme can be processed better that way
4) Once all work is completed, the update can be done in the actual live
forums, without any downtime or issues.

Do note that the persons who perform the conversion process and tests will
need:
1) administrative access to the forums
2) an FTP account for both subdomains
3) credentials for a test database

I can help with the process, it's something that I've dealt with again in
the past.

Regards
Filippos

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Eugene Sandulenko <sev at scummvm.org> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> We're stuck on ancient phpBB2 and that is hurting us. Spammers are active
> like there is no tomorrow and we're getting tens of bot registration
> attempts daily.
>
> Also our current user base is infested with all those bot accounts which
> pop up from time to time (delayed spamming) and start their job.
>
> So we really really need to switch from phpBB2 to something else.
>
> This came so much to me that I am willing to do the work by myself if
> nobody would volunteer.
>
> I know that in the past there were several attempts to do that, so please
> contact me and provide me with any information/work in progress which you
> have.
>

> Eugene

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde