[Scummvm-devel] We need to upgrade our forums

D G Turner d.g.turner at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 26 15:23:34 CET 2013

Eugene,
  As I have been fielding the manual registrations of the spambots,
  along with you and Strangerke, I tend to agree.

  However, I was surprised this was happening and checked the admin
  setup of our current phpBB2 forums.

  While what you indicate is true and I have offered to help look at
  this at some point, I did realise that the majority of these
  registrations are from bots with usernames of exactly ten characters,
  but no pattern, so can't ban them by pattern matching... even in the
  standard phpBB3 install AFAIK. A third party antispam mod is required.

  But I was suprised that they were getting through our current phpBB2
  registration which needed both visual (CAPTCHA) and textual question
  confirmation of humanity.

  While CAPTCHA can be broken or "Mechanical Turked", the textual
  confirmation should be fairly resistent if the questions are chosen
  well, so I checked this.

  The result was that I have replaced our current textual confirmation
  questions with a new set. For future reference, some notes on choosing
  these:
  1. Do not choose questions with Yes/No answers as the bot will just
     try both options. Ditto for limited lists such as colors or numbers
     between 1 and 20.

  2. Google the question and see if it would be fairly trivial to infer
     the answer from a quick text parse engine on the results i.e.
     I removed the question:
     "The protagonist in Monkey Island is Guybrush ...?"
     as Google results showed "Guybrush Threepwood" very clearly and
     writing a bot to do this is fairly trivial.

  3. Limit the question list to only a few questions i.e. 5-10 max
     and change them occasionally if the bot spam volume increases.

  4. Prefix the "real question" to prevent bots using websites to
     "Mechanical turking" humans into breaking the text i.e.
     SCUMMVM Antispam Asks "What .... "?

     This ensures that a dumb bot solution will clearly show our name
     and antispam in the question and thus should socially prevent the
     breakage in most cases... Changing the questions periodically is
     the other solution.

  As with passwords, it doesn't matter how up to date the system
  is if the password is weak, so if in future, if admins could abide
  by these rules when choosing the textual confirmation questions, then
  the spammers should be limited to the manual and human ones.

  A few rules for dealing with these:
  1. We should retain the current manual registration confirmation as
     removing the spambots, the registration volume is not high enough
     to be onerous on the admins and it is a good idea to have a human
     check.

  2. Check the username and e-mail address on new registrations against
     known spammers in the SFS database:
     http://www.stopforumspam.com/

  3. Google the username/e-mail and see if the result indicates a known
     spammer or a human profile.

  4. Give benefit of doubt i.e. you should assume that a registration
     is a human / non-spammer if there is no evidence to the contrary.
     If this proves wrong later, we can ban/delete or otherwise deal
     with the user, but barring any evidence of known bot/spam, we
     should approve the registration.

  I hope we should notice the spambots drop to zero registrations for
  the foreseeable and this should give us the time to do the phpBB3
  upgrade in a timely, but relaxed manner.
Thanks,
David Turner